In today’s edition of 20 Questions, Jamie from Cap Collectors speaks to Bo, an Australian cap collector who also goes by the name “@stat1c_”.
- Please introduce yourself – who are you, where are you from and give us some details about yourself. Also provide me with your social media profiles/nicknames. My name is Bo, I’m from Adelaide, Australia. You guys can find me on Instagram and Twitter on @stat1c_.
- How long have you considered yourself a cap collector? I’ve always been collecting caps, but didn’t realise how big of a thing it was until 2013. It wasn’t when I started getting introduced to forums and groups on Facebook that I realised there are so many likeminded people who are into collecting.
- When did you first get first start collecting caps? Did you set out from the start to be a cap collector or did you just pick up a cap and become hooked from thereon? My very first hat I bought was a Knocksteady snapback back in the days when they were around. I originally bought just one but then realised there was an entire set to collect, from there the addiction kicked in!
- Do you remember what your first ever cap was? It was a black allover Knocksteady snapback, used to rock that everyday to the point where it’s now faded.
- Do you always buy one particular brand of cap or do you vary your collection? I almost collect exclusively New Era now, just can’t bare myself buying anything else.
- How many caps have you currently got in your collection? I’ve stopped counting ever since I got to the 150 mark, but I believe it’s around 200-250’ish.
- Do you have a target that you want to hit or even a target that you plan to stop at? I don’t think I can stop at this stage, I partly blame the Team Fitted page on Facebook for constantly feeding my addiction!
- Do you have one cap that you favour to the rest? My go-to cap would definitely be the Detroit Tigers x Eminem MONSTER Tour 2014.
- Do you have any rare or limited edition caps? Definitely my Chewbacca Star Wars x New Era dog eared fitted, it’s definitely something unique which I enjoy. I also own a few custom pieces from the Team Fitted guys, all of them are definitely limited in my books.
- When buying caps, do you always go for a particular team or sport, or do you just buy any that you think look good? These days I tend to be very picky when it comes to purchasing a new cap, I tend to go for more exclusive cap and it must also have a good design.
- Fitted, snapback or strapback? My preference would be fitted.
- Do you wear all of your caps or do you have some that you haven’t yet got around to wearing (or don’t plan to wear)? Whenever I buy a new cap, I do try and wear them all at least once.
- What’s the cheapest price you’ve ever paid for a cap? Being in Australia, paying anything under $40 is considered cheap!
- And what is the most you’ve ever spent on one? Most I’ve spent would be $300+ on a single one.
- Having a large number of caps means you need somewhere to store them – how do you store your caps? I display my caps in a DVD Storage shelf – each cubby holds 24 caps and I have 3 shelves. The rest are stored in boxes and stacked away, I also have a glass display to show off some of my favourites.
- Do you have any particular methods or techniques for cap care? The hats on displayed are wrapped in poly bags to keep the dust out, I also own a few cap brushes and Nu-Cap restore kit.
- What’s your go-to place to buy caps and why? My go-to place for anything sports related would definitely be Culture Kings, they’re based in Australia so shipping is cheap and they update their range pretty frequently. For anything else I usually hit eBay or ask one of my connects to link me up *wink wink*.
- Do you have any interesting or funny stories you can tell us from your time as a cap collector? No funny stories but definitely have made a lot of friends being part of the community, so many interesting collectors and people I’ve dealt with over the past year.
- What do your family/friends/significant other think of your collection of hats? I always get told by my family “you only have one head!”. A lot of people also get used to me wearing a cap that on days I don’t they’ll always ask me “what’s wrong?”
- Do you have any new purchases lined up or anything you’re particularly looking forward to? Nothing in particular so far yet, however I am heading to Japan next year so will definitely be picking up quite a few hats when I’m down there!
A big thankyou to Bo for talking to Cap Collectors about his collection – be sure to follow him on Instagram to see his caps: @stat1c_.
Want to be featured on 20 Questions? Send over an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.