In this installment of 20 Questions, Cap Collectors speaks to Pietro Foresta, an Italian cap collector.
- Please introduce yourself – who are you, where are you from and give us some details about yourself. Hi, my name is Pietro Foresta. I’m from south Italy, I’m 23, study biophysics at University of Calabria, do calisthenics, love graffiti and calligraffiti, and I’m a cap addict. You can find me on Instagram: @zio.p_acca or on Facebook: Pietro Zio P Foresta.
- How long have you considered yourself a cap collector? I wore cap always, since I was a kid. In fact I also have a lot of “normal caps” that I no longer use. But I consider myself a cap collector from 2010.
- When did you first get first start collecting caps? Did you set out from the start to be a cap collector or did you just pick up a cap and become hooked from thereon? I bought my first New Era cap, maybe, when I was 16, in 2008. I bought it not for the team but because I loved hip-hop, now it has become an obsession, a true love for each cap.
- Do you remember what your first ever cap was? My first cap was a New York Yankees fitted bought on eBay.
- Do you always buy one particular brand of cap or do you vary your collection? At the beginning, I took also cap that wasn’t New Era like Billabong, Etnies, Adidas, Cayler & Son and so on, but now I have decided to buy only New Era.
- How many caps have you currently got in your collection? Currently, I have maybe 50 caps, I know, they are still few.
- Do you have a target that you want to hit or even a target that you plan to stop at? I don’t have a target to hit, I only want more caps.
- Do you have one cap that you favour to the rest? In my collection there is a cap that II prefer. It is the Yums classic brushwork snapback.
- Do you have any rare or limited edition caps? The rarest edition I have is the 2015 Back to the Future strapback, then I have too something like Yankees Spike Lee Heritage Series 1996, Andy Warhol Swag 59FIFTY.
- When buying caps, do you always go for a particular team or sport, or do you just buy any that you think look good? Now, when I buy a cap, I search to find something which is not a sports team, but I prefer characters (Marvel, DC etc), artist series, or collections like Coca-Cola and so on.
- Fitted, snapback or strapback? For me, fitted, snap or strap are the same; the important thing is that it is a great cap.
- Do you wear all of your caps or do you have some that you haven’t yet got around to wearing (or don’t plan to wear)? I wear all my caps, there are some which I wear often and others which I no longer wear.
- What’s the cheapest price you’ve ever paid for a cap? If I remember right, the cheapest price was €5.00. [This is about $5.30 or £3.51.]
- And what is the most you’ve ever spent on one? While, the highest I think it was €45.00 [$47.74 or £31.61] for the Back to the Future. I try to take the caps when there are the sales.
- Having a large number of caps means you need somewhere to store them – how do you store your caps? To store my collection, I use a normal bookcase which is in my room. I hope, when I have my house, to built a “cap room”.
- Do you have any particular methods or techniques for cap care? The most important method to take care of a cap is to prevent any possible damage. I use an easy technique: a little sponge, a bit of soap and a fast rinse under cold water. Nothing else.
- What’s your go-to place to buy caps and why? I don’t have a single place where a buy caps. I use the internet so I can find what, maybe, I want.
- Do you have any interesting or funny stories you can tell us from your time as a cap collector? As a cap collector, I don’t have just one story, each cap has a story more or less funny. For example, the way in which I find a new store, the way in which the people observe myself when I wear some strange cap and so on.
- What do your family/friends/significant other think of your collection of hats? For my family I’m a crazy, but they also begin to understand my love for the caps. For the friends I am “hatman”, they think that I put the caps first of all (yes, it’s true) and often they ask me to lend them some cool caps!
- Do you have any new purchases lined up or anything you’re particularly looking forward to? For now, I want to close the Coca-Cola collection. Next step? I don’t know. For sure something good.
A huge thankyou to Pietro for talking to us about his collection – be sure to follow him on Instagram to see his caps: @zio.p_acca.
Want to be featured on 20 Questions? Drop an e-mail to email@example.com.