In this issue of 20 Questions, Jamie from Cap Collectors speaks with Janusz Pałka, also known as twitchthisone, a cap collector from Poland.
- Please introduce yourself – who are you, where are you from and give us some details about yourself. Hello everyone, my name is Janusz, I live in Bielsko-Biala, Poland. I am 29 years old, I work as a welder and my personal life revolves around few passions: tattoos, Marvel comics and New Era Caps. Me and my collection you can find on Instagram as @twitchthisone.
- How long have you considered yourself a cap collector? I’m a collector in total for the second time… about 7 years ago I first started to collect caps but for personal reasons I had to sell them. At the moment, I’ve been collecting for about 2 years and my thoughts about them has changed so this collection gonna stay with me forever!
- When did you first get first start collecting caps? Did you set out from the start to be a cap collector or did you just pick up a cap and become hooked from thereon? I used to not pay much attention to caps, just one was enough for me. The idea of collecting them appeared after watching the movie “How High“.
- Do you remember what your first ever cap was? Of course I remember it! I got it when I was something like 12 years old and it was an NBA team – the Phoenix Suns.
- Do you always buy one particular brand of cap or do you vary your collection? New Era only!
- How many caps have you currently got in your collection? 38.
- Do you have a target that you want to hit or even a target that you plan to stop at? I have no limits to the number but I would not buy them just so the collection gets bigger.
- Do you have one cap that you favour to the rest? No, I don’t. I love each one the same!
- Do you have any rare or limited edition caps? Unfortunately no, I hope that it’s gonna change soon.
- When buying caps, do you always go for a particular team or sport, or do you just buy any that you think look good? I pay attention to a few things before buying, for example when it comes to teams I usually choose one from the NFL; even though I have a couple of MLB. Very often I am looking for caps associated with my favorite companies like 10Deep, Mishka, Famous SaS or Crooks & Castles.
- Fitted, snapback or strapback? Fitted, although I have a few snapbacks in my collection.
- Do you wear all of your caps or do you have some that you haven’t yet got around to wearing (or don’t plan to wear)? It depends on what I’m wearing. I try to use all of them, some of them more often, some of them less.
- What’s the cheapest price you’ve ever paid for a cap? $5.
- And what is the most you’ve ever spent on one? $48.
- Having a large number of caps means you need somewhere to store them – how do you store your caps? While I still have a place they are all on a cabinet at my room..but it’s getting closer to the moment where I had to come up with a new place for them.
- Do you have any particular methods or techniques for cap care? I’m cleaning them regularly with lint roller and that’s good enough I think.
- What’s your go-to place to buy caps and why? In Poland it is hard to get a nice cap, ’cause the choice is not that big and prices are often excessive. But I can recommend a few online shops from my country – theavenue.pl, urbancity.pl and urbanflavours.pl.
- Do you have any interesting or funny stories you can tell us from your time as a cap collector? From some time, as part of a club called ‘Team Fitted’, I designed several logos for members of the group, along the lines of the New Era sticker, and in exchanged for that I got some goodies and a few caps as a gift!
- What do your family/friends/significant other think of your collection of hats? Some people are wondering why I have so many, some cheer me up and the others say that I am sick about it!
- Do you have any new purchases lined up or anything you’re particularly looking forward to? My dream is to be second Polish guy who will do his own custom fitted. And a special cap that I dream about will be Mishka x Sesame Street × New Era.
A huge thankyou to Janusz for talking to us about his collection of caps – be sure to follow him on Instagram to see his collection: @twitchthisone.
Want to be featured on 20 Questions? Drop an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.